You count on your vehicle to take you everywhere—your engine counts on you to ensure the oil is in tip-top shape. If the lubricant is low or filthy, you will need to get an oil change in Terrace as soon as possible. Failing to top up the oil can lead to poor engine performance and potential costly engine problems.
The good news is that checking your oil is super simple. But if you have never done it before, the first time can be a little confusing. To help walk you through the process, read on to learn how to check your oil.
Why an oil change?
First things first. The top reason to check your oil is to make sure your engine is properly lubricated. Without oil, your engine would seize up and die. Regular oil changes also help boost gas mileage, prolong your engine’s lifespan, and keep the moving parts working smoothly.
Time for an oil change? Bring your ride into Great Canadian Oil Change. We will top your engine up with the best oil in the business. If you have 10 minutes, we have you covered.
How to check your oil
- Park your car on level ground to ensure you get an accurate reading.
- Turn off the engine and wait 10 to 15 minutes for it to cool down.
- Lift the hood and locate the oil dipstick (it normally has a brightly coloured handle with the word oil labelled on it).
- Remove the dipstick and wipe it down with a towel or rag, and then put it back into the slot.
- Pull out the dipstick again and check the oil level. The level will be somewhere between the “low” and “full” marks on the dipstick.
- When you are done, reinsert the dipstick and close the hood.
Check the condition of the oil
While you are inspecting the oil level, you should also check the condition of the oil. If the lubricant is extremely dark, thick, or gritty, it is probably time for an oil change!
How often should you check the oil?
When it comes to how often you should check your oil, there are no hard and fast rules. But generally, you will want to inspect your oil once a month or at every other time you fill up at the gas station.
Checking your oil and getting regular oil changes are two of the easiest things you can do for your engine. And one of the easiest things you can do for yourself is to drop by Great Canadian Oil Change for a fast, affordable oil change.